Saturday, January 7, 2017

Of Prayers and Health's Passing


Of Prayers and Health's Passing

by michael a. bengwayan

The path to my woods is no longer easy. I scale the 129 steps slower ,with more energy, the excruciating pain making me reel from every step. But upon reaching the last stair, joy replaces pain. The  woods is soft and silent underfoot. It is always there waiting for me. The twigs sway with the pine needles whistling through the cold soft breeze exuding pine scents I cherished since as a child.

Wet leaves pad the ground beneath the trees and bright patches of green moss cover every rock. Many plants in sheltered places thrive even now. This place is sweet solitude-but never silent. Twittering birds have moved in from the North's  winter traveling from as far as China, the red and blue of the swifts and bush birds color the darkening woods. Time hangs between  cold January nights and warm late mornings in mellow breezes and a few bright yellow sunflowers. It is a pensive time, a time to reflect and let go and enjoy.

 In these moments when I get to quietly sit with mind centered on the fact that God is only good, and that no situation devious or twisted in appearance, has any power except that which we give it by dwelling on how terrible it is - then, there is hope.

I am full of hope for this new year.  If I  can become quiet enough in my mind to know God is good, it will produce one of those times of sweet serenity that settles like an invisible veil between us and our troubles. And the new year will be better. In those moments of growth and faith will come peace that passes all understanding.

It is good to live an active life, but some of life's most productive moments are not when the mind and body are hurled through hectic hours at a furious pace. Life offers many tender and beautiful times that demand nothing and give only a quiet calm that will never come in pill form. It is time I pull, back, slow down, let others make paths for others to follow.
The flesh and bones are weak but never the spirit. A doctor or two  quipped i just overdid myself, I never thought such thing could happen. Somewhere, a muscle, nerve or ligament just fails to function adding to my haemolytic anaemia plight.

Contrary to the belief in any power except God's, there is a happy medium. It does not come simply by demanding, and there are times when it can be touched on only so briefly. But even in our sore travails there is a time when life finds balance and we live in harmony with God's laws.

So I prop myself to the ground, kiss the Earth and chant my prayers....  face down  the soil, hands to the Maker,  taking up  all its life-giving forces. 

Thankful for life once more..

No comments: