Sunday, April 2, 2017

Believing Yields Miracles..


Believing Yields Miracles..
....michael bengwayan   ph.d.
.
I taught social change, social entrepreneurship and development communication at the Graduate School of Benguet State University, after my studies abroad .

Many of my students were working professionals. Some came from far away Nepal, Bhutan and Thailand. Some worked in government line agencies, others in the private sector and the rest with the NGO world.
Sadly, some took graduate units either to be promoted or to have a higher salary before retiring.

But all, I can understand, were doubly hard-up by the fact that they worked five days a week, traveled to the university on weekends, rushed assignments, traveled back to their homes for short periods with their families and joined the crazy rat race once again every Monday to Friday.

To determine how challenged my students were especially in developing themselves to be better personally and professionally in relation to their commitment to work , I offered them this. : “I thank you for being my students this semester. I know it has been difficult for most of you, to be working and studying at the same time so i have an offer to make. I will give a grade of “2” to anyone who opts not to take the final exams today. You can go out now”.

There was joy and whooping and many rushed past me to say thank you and leave. But not all left. Four graduate students remained silent in their seats.

I closed the door and prepared to write the questions of the examination on the board. But on a moment’s notice, I turned my back, faced them and said “Why did you choose to take the exams?”. The student i remember, named Joana stood and said, “We want a Grade of “1”.

I looked at their stern faces again for some minutes and decided, “Because you believe in yourselves and because you believe you can get a “1”, I will give all of you a “1”.

I let them out of the classroom without taking the exams.

No comments: