Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Reverencing Earth …michael a. bengwayan


Reverencing  Earth
…michael a. bengwayan

I remember the first time I saw the Giant’s Causeway in Antrim,  Northern Ireland.  I had seen pictures of it but there was no preparation for the overpowering presence of being there, walking toward the unfenced rim, seeing the ocean through giant stairways carved from solid basalt rock. I could see after an involuntary gasp at the vastness of the ocean atop a throne of stones. I was struck by the stillness of the whole panorama.  I could not say anything because there was nothing to say. It seemed my words were swallowed up by the enormous chasm in front of me.

The proper response was not words but silence. I felt, dumb, so primordial. I felt the same reverence I  felt when I was in the rainforests of Kalimantan, Indonesia  Or in the old Resurrection Church in Baguio where  I served in as a sextant when I was a boy. The Giant’s Causeway evokes that sort of reverence. It is a place of tremendous majesty. To throw a stone over the wide expanse even seemed like a desecration.
This kind of reverence people spontaneously feel is the attitude we need to cultivate toward the entire Earth. Eco-spirituality honors the Earth. We walk the Earth with humility and reverence, not with arrogant air of an insensitive landlord. We do not worship the air as divine but respect it as a revelation of our Lord. To reverence the Earth is to respect the artistry of our Creator, the Divine Artist.
Every feature of the global landscape has a value even though we may not be able to identify that value or explain its role in the total ecosystem. It took millions of years for the ocean to carve the Giant Stairway, and every feature of the Earth’s surface is the result of similar geological processes. The antiquity and functional success of these planetary systems demand reverence.
Our physical environment forms us in obvious as well as subtle ways. We are shaped by the landscape and imbued by the spirit of the place where we live. It could be said that the Earth gave birth to us and conditions the way we live and support ourselves. It has all the maternal qualities of fruitfulness, guidance, benefiscence.
It is because the Earth shapes and nurtures us that the Earth is our Mother. Mother Earth deserves a loving reverence similar to what we show our human mothers.

No comments: