Monday, June 4, 2018

Lord, give me a sunbeam ....michael a. bengwayan...

Lord, give me a sunbeam
....michael a. bengwayan...

This is a sunbeam in my forest farm Habitat. One of the reasons I wake up early is to watch a sunbeam. I love sunbeams. They prompt me to think of heaven. They’re lighted pathways spanning heaven and earth.

I like to watch the sun struggling to break through, creep under the forest floor, brighten the leaves of trees, make sparkle the dew and bring life to the world.

It’s because as a human, a creation, I yearn for the transcendent. I instinctively know there is more to life than drinking coffee, tending my garden or planting trees. It’s not that the day-to-day details of life are unimportant, they are. God has anointed them as part of what it means to be human on a daily basis. Still, we know there’s more, and, for me, sunbeams remind me that there’s more, far more.

It’s good, while we’re living the details of each day, to maintain a heavenly perspective, an eternal view. Like the bee that flies away from its hive to return over and over again, to make sure the nectar of flowers reach the honeycomb, so we have a Heavenly Father who gives us His full attention. We can know we are part of His divine plans and that we have His mighty help. We can pray the psalmist’s prayer, “Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings.” (Psalm 17:8)

While we’re here on earth we’re to embrace all that God has for us to do. But in the doing of it we’re to never lose sight of heaven’s perspective. Sunbeams are just one way God reminds me of this! “The heavens proclaim his righteousness, and all peoples see his glory.” (Psalm 97:6)

No comments: