Sunday, October 29, 2017

Responsibility

Responsibility

I always tell my staff and the people I train that one word that can shape or unshape their lives is the word "responsibility". I was telling this to 13 of my environmental volunteer leaders whom I am preparing to send out to a remote village.
Responsibility comes from two words, "response" and "ability".. it is our ability to respond positively to a situation or task. No matter how understanding other people are if we cannot comprehend, and learn to express truth and act it out. Our ability to respond to a situation must be dictated by our strength to bear it. Many do their work on the "pwede na, pwede pa" mantra, ignorant that a resulting failure is due to lack of love, concern and empathy for work that would benefit others.. And this plagues many Filipinos. As my late karate Sensei Kunio Sasaki of the Japan Karate Association (JKA) once said, "When Filipinos fail, they feel ashamed. When we Japanese fail, we feel guilty".

No comments: